Search This Blog

Friday, January 21, 2011

A Post About McDonalds

So as many of you probably know, there are quite a few McDonalds in Israel. Some Kosher, some not, some in busy locations, some in rural highways. But now, every McDonalds in Israel has one thing that ties them togehter. As of the past week or so, you can now get FALAFEL at any Israel McDonalds. I recently saw the add for this, and it is a crazy idea, and very strange to thing about the decision of Big Mac vs. Falafel Sandwich, but I also thought about something else.

In an age where everything is becoming identical, all countries are westernizing, it is a very nice idea to put commonly found foods in a specific countries McDonalds. It represents a difference in the cultures, countries, and more importantly the people who consume its food. I think it is a very nice idea that a place such as McDonalds, which so easily binds the food industry of one country to the next, is making strides toward localization, toward building back the identity of culture in an individual country. While it is nice that each country is becomming more developed, what comes with that is a loss of individuality and culture. So despite all the negativity that is often associated with The McDonalds corporation, I commend them for this move, because it is working towards better things, and I just get a kick out of the fact that McDonalds has Falafel.

As for the food itself, I dont really like McDonalds, and even less in Israel. But I am going to have to try the McFalafel, after all, I am living in the McMiddle East and it only makes sense to experience every opportunity that comes my way. I will let you all know what the verdict is.

                                           Some Good Pictures of McFalafel        McDonald's Israel

No comments:

Post a Comment